Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Erie, PA - June 23rd, 2009 - Day 15

It's been a while since I've had time to update you all on our progress. I think I left off in Indiana.
Anyway, from Battle Creek, MI to Scott, IN (Amish Country) was great riding. We stayed with my friend, Amy and her brother, Pete and Pat Kelly at their lake home on Dallas Lake, an hour outside Fort Wayne. A lovely home, great food and conversation. They really spoiled us. Some pics. to follow.

From there, we headed to Monroeville, IN, and a free place to stay for cyclists. Great washer and dryer, shower, and kitchen.

From there, we headed into Ohio, and some of the most beautiful riding along the Maumee River. I believe I have posted about that already. Camped and lucked out on the weather.

It was time for a hotel in Huron, OH, after the kids and Steve did 77 miles. Rest for all.

On Friday, June 19th, Eric and I set out for Cleveland, after some bad thunderstorms hit the area. We were thinking the day was a wash, but it cleared enough to ride. were figuring on a 50 mile day, heading along Lake Erie. But unfortunately the traffic was pretty treacherous, and Eric decided he'd had enough. I pushed on and tried to ignore the cars as much as possible, and take in the view of the lake homes and gardens.... Getting to our friends in Lakewood, OH (near Cleveland) was a welcomed site.

We spend 2 nights with Woody and Marilyn, and took in some of the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. Sat on their porch for hours and relaxed. Then on Sunday, Father's Day, and Summer Solstice, Steve, Eric and I took off for Geneva on the Lake, heading east. Zoe made it through Cleveland okay and met us at the state campground.

On Monday, June 21st, Day 14, Zoe, Steve and I rode from Geneva on the Lake to Erie, PA. The riding was pretty good. I got a bit hungry and crabby, and almost went off my bike, not paying attention to the debris on the road. We decided to call it quits in Erie, PA, when we finally stopped for a lunch break at 3 p.m. With 25 mi. to go for camping, and rush hour in Erie, a hotel sounded too good to pass up.

I know you all are experiencing some heat in WI. We've been lucky so far with winds a bit out of the north, and temps. in the low 80s. we'll see how long that lasts.

We're planning on being in Buffalo/Niagra Falls tomorrow (Wed., June 24th), with an extra overnight to do some exploring. We hear Buffalo is the 2nd largest city in NY. Should be interesting navigating. That's all I have time for. Until next time,

Trudi

No comments:

Post a Comment